Nourishing minds

Comprehensive School Community Health incorporates health into all aspects of school and learning.

JobOpportunitiesProgram DirectoryBlogVideosLive. Work. PlaySurgery Specialist Directory

Contact Us

Box 2003
Weyburn, Saskatchewan
S4H 2Z9
Tel: (306) 842-8399
For General Inquiries:

Return to directory

Child Speech Language Pathology

Children who require Speech Language Pathology services will be seen by the Pediatric Speech-Language Pathologists.

Adults who require service will be seen by the Adult Speech-Language Pathologists.

1. Pediatric Speech-Language Pathology 
The Speech-Language Pathologist provides assessment, treatment and consultative services to pre-school children (birth until age five or entry into kindergarten) helping them to develop appropriate communication skills.  

Services are free and available to all infants, toddlers, preschool children and their families living within the health region.  Preschoolers enrolled in Pre-Kindergarten programs are not eligible for services.  Anyone can refer a child to our program with the legal guardian’s consent.  As the demand for Speech-Language Pathology Services typically exceeds our ability to provide immediate services, most children go on a waiting list for services. The length of time on the wait list varies with staff vacancies and the number of referrals received.

For further information about children's Speech-Language Pathology services, contact:

Speech-Language Pathologists
Weyburn Community Services Building
900 Saskatchewan Drive, Box 2003
Weyburn, SK S4H 2Z9

Speech-Language Pathologists
Community Health Services
1175 Nicholson Road, Box 500-201
Estevan, SK S4A 2V6

Questions and Answers: 

Do you have concerns with your child’s speech and language development?

When should you seek help?

It is strongly recommended to seek help from a speech-language pathologist if your child does not display the following:

First 3 months of life:
  -Show reaction to sound

Four months to 6 months:
   -Watch your face with interest when you talk
   -Enjoy “talking” to you or smiling at you
   -Coo or squeal for attention
   -Have a special cry for attention

By 12 months:
    -Babble with changes in tone – e.g. dadadadadadadadada
    -Use gestures like waving “bye bye” or shaking head for “no”
    -Respond to his/her name
    -Communicate in some way when s/he needs help with something

By 15 months:
    -Understand and respond to words like "no" and "up"
    -Say any words
    -Point to objects or pictures when asked “Where’s the...?
    -Point to things of interest as if to say “Look at that!” and then look right at you

By 18 months:
    -Understand simple commands like "Don't touch"
    -Use at least 20 single words like "Mommy" or "up"
    -Respond with a word or gesture to a question such as “What’s that? or “Where’s your shoe?”
    -Point to two or three major body parts such as head, nose, eyes, or feet

By 24 months
    -Say at least 100 words
    -Consistently join two words together like "Daddy go" or “ shoes on”
    -Imitate actions or words
    -Pretend with toys, such as feeding doll or making toy man drive toy car

By 30 months
    -Say more than 300 words
    -Use action words like “run”, “eat”, or “fall”
    -Use some adult grammar, such as “two babies” and “doggie sleeping

3-4 years
    -Ask questions by 3 years
    -Use sentences (e.g., "I don't want that" or "My truck is broken")  by three years
    -Have the ability to tell a simple story by four or five years 

It is important to contact your local Speech-Language Pathologist if you have observed one or more of these warning signs in your child.  Take action to ensure your child receives the help he or she needs.

  • There are two Speech-Language Pathologists serving the Sun Country Health Region:



Twyla Sim, MSLP, S-LP(C), CCC-SLP

(306) 842-8684


Sarah Lemieux, M.Sc., CFY-SLP

(306) 637-3646


Frequently Asked Questions:

Who can refer a child for Speech-Language Pathology Services?

A referral can come from anyone who is concerned about the child.  Parental/ guardian consent is required.  This can include health care professional s (e.g., doctor, nurse, physiotherapist), Early Learning and Care Consultants, Social Service Workers, parents, etc.

How do you refer a child for Speech or Language Services?

You can call your local Speech-Language Pathologist (SLP) and a telephone referral can be completed.  Health Care professionals can fill out a referral form.  If they do not have a referral form, they can contact the local SLP and one can be provided. 

What happens once the child is referred?

Once the child is referred a letter will be sent out to the parent with a “Case History Form”.  The parents are required to fill out the form and send it back.  The child will not be placed on the waiting list until this form is received. 

When the information has been received, that parent will receive a second letter indicating that the child has been placed on the waiting list. 

How long is the wait?

The wait varies depending on the children that are on the waiting list before your child.  It is not possible to predict the exact length of time that therapy will take for a given child.  Some children require two sessions while others may require two years.  Currently the waiting list is approximately 9 months.

What can I do to help my child?

Once the child is added to the waiting list, the parents will be contacted to make an appointment for a “Strategy Session”.  This will consist of a brief screening of the presenting problem with the Speech-Language Pathologist who will then provide the caregivers with strategies that they can use to facilitate communication while the child is on the waiting list.  Resources may be provided and referrals to any additional services that are deemed appropriate will also be completed at that time. 

Parents can also access the Sun Country Website for links to Helpful Resources online.  They are also invited to contact the Speech Language Pathologist by telephone if they have further questions or concerns. 


Please visit the following sites for more valuable information regarding pediatric speech and language: 

Click on the Link..

To learn more about the importance of seeking help early and recognizing warning signs of language delay.

To learn more about pediatric speech and language from Speech Language and Audiology Canada.

To learn about some simple strategies to help you child communicate.

 To learn more about speech sound disorders.