- News Releases
- Health Tips
- Community Advisory
- Regional Sun Newsletter
- Sun Country Chatter
- School Nutrition Posters
- Good Eating Today columns
Learning to be Active
Children need physical activity every day to grow up healthy. Help kids learn to be active at an early age. As they grow up, encourage and support them in their physical activities.
Highlights of the January Meeting of the Sun Country Regional Health Authority
Sun Country Regional Health Authority (SCRHA) accepted the resignation of one of its members at its regular meeting on Jan. 30, 2013.
Vernon Palmer tendered his resignation earlier this month when he moved out of the Region. Regional Health Authority Chair Marilyn Charlton thanked Mr. Palmer for his nine years of working with the health authority to maintain and improve health care in South East Saskatchewan.
Members of SCRHA also learned:
- that all 17 improvement projects selected for the 2012-13 fiscal year are on target. All but two will be completed by the March 31, 2013 deadline. The improvement projects include increasing access to primary health care teams for the public, reducing the number of injuries from falls in long term and acute care facilities, reducing the number of infections resulting from surgeries, creating a medication reconciliation program for all patient transfers and discharges, creating a program to help acute care staff provide care to patients and families in psychological distress, creating a single point of entry for patient transfers, reducing health care-associated infections by improving compliance with hand hygiene and environmental cleaning, creating programs to reduce workplace injuries, providing more training for management, training leadership in Lean concepts, electronic pay stubs for staff and creating a province-wide paperless system for job applications. All of the projects are intended to reduce the costs and time associated with non-patient care so more resources can be directed to patient care.
- All ambulances will soon be equipped with an Automatic Vehicle Location transponder, which should improve response time. The cost per unit to SCHR is about $1,000. The Ministry of Health will provide the monthly operating costs.
- From Dec 17-Jan. 22, SCHR hired five registered nurses (RNs), four licensed practical nurses (LPNs) and two out of scope staff members. Resignations in the same time period included six RNs, four LPNs, one mental health therapist, one combined lab/x-ray technologist and one out of scope staff member.
- The Region has six doctors entered into the assessment program created by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Saskatchewan. If all six are accepted, it is anticipated they will be ready to practice in May. They have chosen to open practices in Arcola, Oxbow, Estevan, Kipling and Weyburn (2).
- A Jan. 1, 2013 regulation in the Saskatchewan government’s Occupational Health and Safety Act authorizes Occupational Health Officers to issue fines for non-compliance with the act. In SCHR, this means up to 600 designated staff members will require training on the new procedures this year.
- The Workers Compensation Board has awarded SCHR a Certificate of Achievement to recognize reduced work-related injuries and associated costs. The achievement is primarily the result of a revised Return to Work program and should save the Region $60,000 this year.
- About 70 per cent of SCHR staff received the flu vaccine this year to protect themselves, their patients/residents/clients and their families from contracting the flu. That is among the highest numbers in the province.
- One speech language pathologist (SLP) for children and one assistant are providing services to 75 children in Estevan and Weyburn. There is a wait list of 59 children in the Region. The wait list should disappear when another SLP is hired.
- Representatives from St. Joseph’s Hospital of Estevan and a member of the Regional Health Authority met with the Minister of Health on January 7 regarding the Sun Country Health Region’s application for a CT scanner.
Posted Feb. 1
>>> Return to Listing